Friday, June 5, 2015

Event 1

Event 1
Kathy High Exhibition 
Waste Matters: You Are My Future 


This Tuesday I was able to stop by at UCLAs CNSI center and check out Kathy Highs Exhibition. Prior to attending I didn't get a chance to read the info about what the exhibition was about so when I entered I was pretty stunned and grossed out. The exhibition was about Kathy and her exploration in immune systems and research in fecal matter. The first wall that I saw showed photographs of herself as one of her favorite idols David Bowie. As I kept walking she posted a letter which she wrote to Bowie pretty much asking for his poo in hopes that it could somehow help her with her Crohns disease. There was also glass containers containing peoples waste that I didn't really want to observe detailedly to be honest. 





                 The next wall held pictures of different intestines that had children on it. 




The exhibition was definitely one of the most bizarre forms of artwork I have ever seen however I can see the connection between this exhibition and bioart .Kathy High is a modern artist and for the past 15 years has worked with scientists and the use of modern scientific technology to be one of the leading artists in bioart. Her artwork wants people to see the social and cultural effects of biotechnology .While I did not really get the main theme of her exhibition, I can see how she can bring a lot of attention to Crohns disease by displaying this type of art.


Overall Im not sure if I would recommend my friends to visit this exhibition if they get grossed out pretty easily. If you were to visit I would definitely read what it is about before so that your not surprised with what she shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment