According to Charles Percy Snow in his Rede
Lecture in Cambridge titled "The Two Cultures and The Scientific
Revolution", he believes that it is the separation between the two
cultures of literary intellectuals and the natural sciences are what prevents
us from solving the worlds main issues such as the wealth gap which is caused by industrialization and threatens
global stability. Throughout his life he
has been exposed to these two cultures both out of curiosity and through work
and blames the curricular of schools and universities to be the source of the
problem. He believes that literary intellectuals and scientist are on such
opposite sides that "they have created a curious distorted image of each
other".
http://3dblogger.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54fce13cf8834016767669d33970b-pi
http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/510271596/philippine_flag_amp_us_flag_aluminum_license_pla.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true
I have experienced
many dual cultures throughout my life. I was born in the United States however
both my parents are immigrants from the Philippines and Vietnam. Having been
exposed to the American culture outside of home and basically practicing the Asian
culture at home, I have been able to experience and relate to both cultures. I
am fortunate enough to be able to share two cultures because not only do I feel
comfortable hanging around my American
friends, I also felt welcomed when I went to Asia and did not feel out of
place. There are also dual cultures at UCLA. Since I am an athlete and have
dedicated most of my life to tennis, I understand and see the differences
between the athletic life and academic life.
http://dailybruin.com/images/2014/03/f771ff23-7dd9-4589-a333-8b5fe751b1ad-640x620.jpg
Prior to taking this class I did not have much knowledge about how art and science could work together but realizing that technology is improving and is used in our everyday lives, I am now curious and looking forward to how art, science and technology can all
collaborate and create a whole new culture.
Sources:
Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the
Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.
Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In
Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001). Print.
Bohm, D. "On Creativity." JSTOR. N.p.,
n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2013.
Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the
Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.
"Academy EBriefings." A Dangerous Divide. N.p.,
n.d. Web. 05 Apr. 2015.


It’s great to hear that having a duel culture is enriching, rather than troublesome. I share a similar view with my two cultures of being a Chinese immigrant living in America. My two cultures expand on one another.
ReplyDeleteRelating this idea to art and science, contrary to popular beliefs, art and science are not polar opposites that hinder each other. When we combine art and science, like combining our different cultural experiences, there can be new discoveries and opportunities that’s unseen when the two cultures are kept separated, thus creating the third culture.
I enjoyed reading your blog Chanelle. It is very interesting how C.P. Snow brought up the two cultures, and I like how you compared it to your nationalities of being both Asian and American. I am similar in that aspect being half Chinese and half American.
ReplyDeleteLike you said too, I am also looking forward to seeing how art, science, and technology all can collaborate together to form a whole new culture.
I enjoyed reading your post a lot, Chanelle. It offers an accurate perspective on how a person who immigrated to America feels about the separation between the cultures. CP Snow's essay blames the curriculum of schools and universities on the misconception between two cultures and I think this directly correlates with the misconception and stereotypes that Americans have on Asian-Americans, especially immigrants.
ReplyDeleteHello Chanelle, I enjoyed reading your blog especially since you were able to connect your experience to the topic of the week. I like that you incorporated what Snow mentioned about curriculum in school because its something that is still very evident today. Our schools lack the arts and just like before we continue to be affected by this. Moreover, just like you I am excited to see how art, culture, and science come together and how they have shifted our cultures.
ReplyDelete